Coaches & Team Parents
At Bat This Week
- Collect your first WORD OF THE WEEK PACK with the rewards and discussion guide for this week.
- Welcome players and teach them about the Junior Giants philosophy and noncompetitive spirit.
- Have all participants and volunteers sit in a circle and introduce themselves by sharing their name and favorite summertime activity.
- Junior Giants is more than just baseball! Have players take turns reading through the Player & Parent Handbook to learn about the various programs. By simply doing this, all players have now reached First Base in the Round the Bases Reading Program! Pass out bookmarks to all players.
- Use your Reward Preview Pack and show your players the different items they can earn by completing each program!
Word of the Week Talk
- Begin a team discussion by asking players the following questions:
- T-Ball (5-6 years old)
- Define the word "teammate": a member of the same team as somebody else
- 1. What is a teammate?
- 2. What is something a good teammate would say to others on the field?
- 3. What is something you see Giants baseball players do that you want to learn this summer?
- Minors (7-9 years old)
- 1. What does a good teammate do?
- 2. Who have you seen be a good teammate?
- 3. What are your goals for this season?
- Majors (10-13 years old)
- 1. How does being a good teammate affect the entire team?
- 2. When was a specific time that you were a good teammate? When was a specific time that someone was a good teammate to you?
- 3. What would you like to accomplish this summer? What do you want to focus on?
- T-Ball (5-6 years old)
End of Practice
- Introduce the Junior Giants Baseball Cards
- Junior Giants Baseball Cards are designed to give coaches a tool to discuss the Word of the Week. Coaches should take time before or after practices/games to engage players in a conversation about the Word of the Week and pass out that week's card.
- Players will earn 1 card each week. Players that earn all 8 cards will receive the Review Card and a bobblehead at the end of the season.
- Each week, players and their parents should go to gojrgiants.org and enter the answer to the trivia question for a chance to win autographed baseballs, Giants tickets, promo items and an all-inclusive AT&T Park experience!
- For Week 1, pass out the Starter Card and have your Word of the Week talk. Mark off which players earned their cards on your tracking sheet, located in this Game Plan, and on the SI Play. You'll repeat this process each week!
Items to Track in SIPLAY This Week:
- Strike Out Bullying Pledge (if completed already)
- Starter Card
- Round the Bases Reading program rewards earned
- Your players have all earned the bookmark (1st base) because you read the Player & Parent Handbook together!
On Deck Next Week:
Preview Health Week by:
- Reviewing the Healthy Habits Poster and tracking/sticker sheet from the Player & Parent Handbook.
- Encourage players to use the Healthy Habits tracking sheet to track their nutrition and exercise for a week.
- Remind your team that if they bring their completed tracking sheet to next week's practice they will earn a water bottle.
Parents & Players
At Bat This Week
- Read the Player & Parent Handbook to receive a Giants bookmark. Do this and you've already read to 1st base!
- This summer, you will follow the 8-week schedule and learn about each Word of the Week. Be a dedicated teammate all season long by attending every practice and game. You don't want to miss out on each week's fun activities!
Junior Giants League Schedule:
- Week 1: Introduction to Junior Giants
- Week 2: Health
- Week 3: Confidence
- Week 4: Education
- Week 5: Teamwork
- Week 6: Leadership
- Week 7: Strike Out Bullying
- Week 8: Integrity
Junior Giants Baseball Cards
COLLECT ALL 9 CARDS!
Do you represent what it means to be a Junior Giant?
Throughout the season you will have the chance to collect Junior Giants Baseball Cards. If you gather all 9 cards, you will earn a Hunter Pence bobblehead at the end of the season!
How do you earn the cards?
Each week, attend your practices and games and your coach will help you learn about the Word of the Week to earn your cards. If you miss a game or practice, be sure to ask your coach or team parent if they can review what you missed so you can earn your baseball card!
HERE ARE THE JUNIOR GIANTS BASEBALL CARDS YOU CAN EARN
- Starter card with checklist
- Strike Out Bullying
- Season review card
Junior Giants Sweepstakes
Every week you will have the chance to enter the Junior Giants Sweepstakes and win cool Giants prizes! Check out your weekly Junior Giants baseball card and enter the sweepstakes on this website with your parents each week for your chance to win!
On Deck Next Week
Get ready for Health Week! Track your healthy eating and exercise habits for one week on your Healthy Habits Poster. Return your tracking sheet to your coach to earn a Giants water bottle!