5/26/2014 3:55 P.M. ET
Pence in good spirits after scooter is stolen
By Ryan Hood and Chris Haft / MLB.com
SAN FRANCISCO -- Hunter Pence lost his wheels, but not his sense of humor.
The right fielder's beloved scooter was stolen Sunday night as he dined at a restaurant on the Embarcardero, San Francisco's waterfront thoroughfare. Pence obtained the scooter a few weeks after he joined the Giants at the 2012 Trade Deadline and has used it since.
"I can't fathom driving," Pence said Monday.
Thus, Pence would like his scooter back. His reward for information leading to the vehicle's return is an autographed bobblehead doll in his image -- which, of course, captured him riding a scooter.
"It's not that big a deal, but I'm really sad about it," Pence said.
Pence's feelings were apparent to Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "He had a sad face on him this morning," Bochy said. "I've never seen that before."
Pence nevertheless appreciated the flood of comments from fans that appeared on Twitter about the incident.
"I found some way to get joy out of it and I'm grateful for it," he said. "... The support and comments on Twitter were uplifting, if anything."
Pence didn't lock or secure his scooter at the restaurant.
"It kind of doesn't make much sense to steal it, because the charger's kind of rare, so it's not going to last very long," he said. "I just trust people, and apparently someone else needed it more than I do."
Festooned with stickers and adorned by a Pence bobblehead, the scooter bore significant sentimental value to Pence. "I try not to be too attached to things, though it's kind of an extension of me," he said.
Sunday, Pence conveyed himself to AT&T Park on a backup scooter that had a weak motor, forcing him to push off the cement with his foot to generate propulsion. "I'm getting the batteries fixed on that one, so hopefully by the next homestand I'll have one that can make it all the way," he said.
That is, unless Pence's scooter is returned.
"I did have a dream that I saw someone riding it," he said, "and I tackled him."
Cain feeling better, closing in on return to mound
SAN FRANCISCO -- Manager Bruce Bochy said he spoke with starter Matt Cain during the Giants' 8-1 victory on Sunday against Minnesota. According to Bochy, Cain is "doing a lot better" and "close" to returning to the mound.
Cain was originally slated to start Monday afternoon's game against Chicago, but was officially scratched from the start on Saturday. Cain exited his May 21 outing against Colorado after three innings with a strained right hamstring.
Bochy said he has not talked to injured second baseman Marco Scutaro lately, though. Scutaro remains in Florida, where he received a platelet-rich plasma injection last Monday in hopes of speeding his recovery from a nagging back injury.
Prior to the non-surgical procedure, Scutaro had been getting treatment at the team's complex in Arizona. He was initially placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to March 21 but was transferred to the 60-day DL on May 10.
Ryan Hood is an associate reporter for MLB.com. Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Haft-Baked Ideas, and follow him on Twitter at @sfgiantsbeat. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.