© 2011 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

08/04/11 10:50 PM ET

Giants welcome back DeRosa, option Belt

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants reinstated a more controlled version of utility man Mark DeRosa, who was activated from the 60-day disabled list Thursday as rookie first baseman-outfielder Brandon Belt was optioned to Triple-A Fresno.

DeRosa, 36, has dealt with wrist problems since 2009, limiting him to 44 games as a Giant since 2010. He almost literally has nothing left in his wrist to injure, having completely torn the ECU tendon.

This has robbed DeRosa of power but not his ability to make contact.

"I have to approach it a little differently," said DeRosa, who hit .294 (10-for-34) in nine games with Triple-A Fresno and .400 (2-for-5) in two games with high Class A San Jose. "I can't get loosey-goosey like I like to. Everything has to be really strict and inside the ball."

DeRosa can back up at virtually every position but probably will receive most of his activity at first base because the Giants lack a right-handed-hitting complement to Aubrey Huff. DeRosa also played second and third during his injury rehabilitation stint.

A .271 career hitter, DeRosa returned with little fanfare, which was fine with him. "People don't want to hear about my wrist any more. I get that," he said. "I just want to fly under the radar, come back and be a productive player for the team down the stretch. And I know I can do that."

Belt, who remains the Giants' top position-player prospect, was wasting away on the bench. The 23-year-old had received only 21 at-bats and five starts since being recalled for the second time this season on July 19. Needing to develop his skills, Belt was completely miscast as a substitute and pinch-hitter.

"We'd like to see him get back to regular playing time," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy, who noted that Belt readily accepted his demotion. "I think he's looking forward to playing every day."

To accommodate DeRosa on the 40-man roster, the Giants designated Minor League left-hander Alex Hinshaw for assignment.

Sanchez renews tense history with Phillies

SAN FRANCISCO -- Jonathan Sanchez politely declined to submit to an interview Thursday, one day before he faces the Philadelphia Phillies.

Sanchez didn't have to talk. His history with the Phillies demonstrates the potential for drama at AT&T Park.

Sanchez, who hasn't pitched since June 24 due to a bout with biceps tendinitis, posted a pair of memorable regular-season victories against Philadelphia last year. He earned the decision on April 26 when the Giants defeated Roy Halladay, 5-1, and enabled them to avert a three-game series sweep at Citizens Bank Park with a powerful eight-inning, two-hit effort in a 5-2 triumph on Aug. 19.

Sanchez also will renew his contentious relationship with Chase Utley. In a 5 2/3-inning appearance against the Phillies on July 30, 2009, Sanchez threw a pitch over Utley's head. Utley retaliated in the most effective way possible, by hitting a home run.

Then came Game 6 of last year's National League Championship Series at Philadelphia. Sanchez hit Utley in the back with a 2-0 pitch. On his way to first base, Utley flipped the ball back toward the mound, where it struck the rosin bag. Pretty soon, he and Sanchez exchanged words, and the benches emptied.

Sanchez, 4-5 with a 3.81 ERA in 16 starts this season, has worked as many as seven innings just twice this year. Last season, he did so 11 times.

Chris Haft is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.