Marlins to shut down Fernandez after two more starts
Rookie likely to go six innings at home on Friday vs. Nats, Sept. 11 vs. Braves
ATLANTA -- At last, there is a more clear shutdown date for Jose Fernandez.
The energized Marlins rookie will make two more starts, and they won't combine for more than 12 total innings.
Barring a short outing, look for the 21-year-old to go six innings in each of those games, meaning his last start tentatively will be Sept. 11 at home against Atlanta.
Manager Mike Redmond said on Saturday afternoon that Fernandez is looking at a firm innings maximum of 170 innings. Actually, it will be 170 2/3 innings, because right now he is at 158 2/3 innings.
Redmond also added that Fernandez will not pitch on the road, which he would have against the Cubs on Wednesday at Wrigley Field. Instead, he is being pushed back a couple of days to Friday, Sept. 6, at Marlins Park. Fernandez will face the Nationals that day.
Miami hasn't announced who will pitch at Wrigley Field on Wednesday, but it is expected to be a September callup. Brad Hand and Brian Flynn are candidates who are at Triple-A New Orleans.
Fernandez's expected season finale is lined up to be against the Braves.
Before the season, the Marlins made it clear Fernandez would be on an innings limit range between 150-170.
"That was the range as an organization that we felt comfortable leaving him around, depending on how many starts he did," Redmond said. "It was kind of the unknown at the beginning of the season, how he would do and how he would perform. We were looking at ways to protect him, based on how many innings he had gone before. That's the number we came up with."
Fernandez comes off a tough 2-1 loss to the Braves on Friday night, his first loss since July 7. In six innings, he allowed two runs on three hits with eight strikeouts.
A strong National League Rookie of the Year candidate, Fernandez is 10-6 with a 2.33 ERA in 26 starts. He set the Marlins rookie record for strikeouts in a season, which is now 173.
Coghlan among callups on first day roster expands
ATLANTA -- In search of offensive help, the Marlins are hoping some arrives on Sunday afternoon.
Miami is planning on calling up Chris Coghlan on the first day rosters can expand.
The 28-year-old, who was the National League Rookie of the Year in 2009, has appeared in 51 games for Miami this year, batting .277 with a .326 on-base percentage.
Along with Coghlan, the Marlins will recall right-hander Chris Hatcher and select the contract of lefty Zach Phillips from Triple-A New Orleans. To make 40-man roster room for Phillips, Kevin Slowey is being transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
Coghlan last played for Miami on June 8, and since then he has been on the disabled list with what was called right calf nerve irritation. Basically, Coghlan has dealt with a nerve-related back injury that sent discomfort down his leg.
During his rehab assignment, Coghlan was 5-for-27 at Class A Jupiter, before joining Triple-A New Orleans, where he is 6-for-12 in three games.
When Coghlan returns to the Marlins, the question will be where does he play. He's seeing action now at third base, but he has played mostly outfield since his rookie season. He could be used in center field and third base.
"He's been playing third base in the Minor Leagues," manager Mike Redmond said. "I foresee him to play third base, but that's not to say he won't be playing in the outfield, either.
"We'll just kind of wait and see where we're at. Right now, we need a bat. We need somebody to come in and hit. If he comes in and hits, we'll find a spot for him."
Reliever Webb composes own walk-out song
ATLANTA -- With 66 1/3 innings under his belt, Ryan Webb ranks seventh among National League relievers in innings pitched.
Still, the Marlins right-hander has found time to pursue a passion -- creating music.
On Saturday afternoon, Webb used his @RyanWebb58 Twitter account to tweet a link to a four-minute, 12-second song that he put together.
Finished recording my first song, wrote it to be my walkout! Played each instrument myself. RT if you like it! https://t.co/WzWRi0suBU- ryan webb (@RyanWebb58) August 31, 2013
It's purely a musical composition, and Webb plays all the instruments -- lead and bass guitar, keyboards and drums.
The song doesn't have a title, but Webb plans on making it his walk-out music when he enters games at Marlins Park.
As far as Webb knows, no player in the league has composed his own walk-out music. For relievers, the songs last roughly 90 seconds as they warm up.
"About three weeks ago, I was sitting in the bullpen," Webb said. "Out of nowhere I got this little rhythm in my head. I went home and put it into GarageBand, and worked off of it. Eventually, I made an entire song out of it. I never thought I could do that."
GarageBand is program that allows users to play and record music.
Webb makes it clear his composition is far from professionally done.
"For recording it into my computer, it sounds pretty good," he said. "It's not like a professional recording or anything or like."
Webb's current walk-out song is Hysteria by Muse.
Music and drawing, Webb admits, were never his strong suits. But during his second season of professional baseball, he started playing guitar. From there, he picked up playing the piano and drums.
"I've played very, very amateur guitar for a while," he said. "It's just a hobby that I do during the season, even in the offseason.
"I think it sounds pretty cool. I hope people like it. Maybe I'll have a hobby for the offseason and write a couple of songs."
• Redmond sported a Waffle House T-shirt on Saturday afternoon. The shirt was sent to the Miami manager recently because Redmond made some not-so-flattering comments about the breakfast chain the last time the Marlins were in Atlanta. A Waffle House opened at Turner Field not long ago.
"I was a little critical of the Waffle House when I was here the last time," Redmond said. "I appreciated the care package, and I wanted to show them that I'm going to give them another chance."