DETROIT -- It was a long wait for Chris Colabello to get his first Major League hit, but considering everything he went through just to get to the big leagues, it was even more special.
Colabello, who played seven years in the independent Canadian-American League before joining the Twins organization last year, finally got his first shot in the Majors when he was called up Wednesday after impressing at Triple-A Rochester.
And Colabello delivered his first hit in his eighth career at-bat with a single up the middle in the sixth inning Saturday off Tigers right-hander Doug Fister in Minnesota's 3-2 win.
"It was awesome, and to do it in a win was even more special," Colabello said. "It's crazy because you go through a couple of at-bats and want to get it out of the way, and so when I saw the ball go through I felt like two big weights were coming off my shoulders. So it was pretty neat."
Colabello, 29, was presented the ball after the game by manager Ron Gardenhire and said all of his teammates came up to him to congratulate him.
"It was really cool," Colabello said. "They came in and gave me the ball, and everyone came up to me and shook my hand."
Colabello, a Milford, Mass., native, was also able to get the hit in front of several family members and friends, including his parents, Lou and Silvana, and his girlfriend, Alison Connor. He said he gave his parents the ball to take home after the game.
But Gardenhire had to watch from the clubhouse, as he was ejected from the game in the third inning for arguing with second-base umpire Joe West.
"It looked really cool on TV, but it would've been nicer to see from the dugout," Gardenhire said with a laugh. "But the ball was riding on him, and he was able to fight it off and shoot it up the middle. So it was a long wait for a guy who has persevered through a lot. A lot of people told him it wouldn't work out for him, but he never quit and he got his opportunity and now he got his hit, so it's a pretty good story."
After new diagnosis, Ramirez placed on DL
DETROIT -- The Twins placed outfielder Wilkin Ramirez on the seven-day disabled list with concussion-like symptoms after Sunday's 6-1 loss to the Tigers. To replace Ramirez on the roster, the Twins will recall catcher/outfielder Chris Herrmann from Triple-A Rochester in time for Monday's game against the Brewers.
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire had said during his pregame media session that Ramirez was fine after colliding with Josh Willingham in left-center field in the sixth inning of Saturday's game. The initial diagnosis was a sore jaw, but Detroit's team doctor later ruled that Ramirez was exhibiting concussion-like symptoms.
"The doctors said that it was the right thing to do," Gardenhire said. "They said he'd be out three to four days, and we can't afford that right now. Going into a National League park you're going to be thin anyway [without the designated hitter]."
Ramirez, however, expressed the belief that he did not have a concussion. He said the problem was that the doctor asked him to repeat the months of the year backward, and the Dominican Republic native was unable to do so.
"I feel the same," Ramirez said. "The doctor asked me some questions, and I answered. So I don't know. I'm very disappointed right now."
Ramirez said he would talk to Glen Perkins, the Twins' union player representative, to see if he could appeal the decision. Perkins said he would look into the matter and was unsure if Ramirez could appeal.
"If he asks me, I'll have to look into it," Perkins said. "I don't really know. I just know concussions are an issue in all sports. So I'll have to dig into it a little bit. I would imagine he'll have to spend the seven days."
Herrmann, meanwhile, hit .238/.311/.285 with no homers, five doubles and 12 RBIs in 43 games with Rochester. He started 29 games behind the plate with seven starts in left field and five starts at designated hitter.
He saw his first Major League action last year, when he played in seven games as a September callup, going 1-for-18 with an RBI and a walk.
Gardenhire says outlook positive for Plouffe
DETROIT -- Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he received positive medical reports on third baseman Trevor Plouffe on Sunday.
Plouffe was placed on the seven-day disabled list with concussion-like symptoms Wednesday after being kneed in the head by Dan Uggla while trying to break up a double play Tuesday.
He is expected to be activated the first day he is eligible if all continues to go well. Plouffe is eligible to make his return Wednesday, when the Twins return home to host the Brewers.
"He's doing everything and feels great, so by the time we get home he should be activated," Gardenhire said. "So we'll see what we have to do then."
Amid good month, Carroll back at second
DETROIT -- After struggling at the plate this month, Brian Dozier was benched for a second straight game Sunday with Jamey Carroll getting the start at second base against the Tigers.
Carroll has simply outplayed Dozier this month, hitting .278 with a .339 on-base percentage in 13 games entering Sunday, while Dozier has batted just .145 with a .172 on-base percentage in 17 games in May.
"Jamey is swinging better, and Dozier is fighting his way through it," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "It's just the way it is. We're trying to win ballgames. We did enough losing, so the guys who are playing the best are going to be in there."
Dozier, 26, won the job at second base in Spring Training but has struggled in his second season with the Twins. He's hitting just .197 with one homer and 12 RBIs in 36 games. But he has been working with hitting coach Tom Brunansky to fix his swing, as he has been hitting the ball into the air too much this year, Gardenhire said.
"He looks like he's really fighting it lately," Gardenhire said. "The thing that happens with a hitter when you're fighting it is you have a couple tough at-bats, and then when you hit one hard it's right at them. So it just adds on. And that's where he's at right now. He's just fighting through it, but he's working his tail off."